Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beekeeper1756 here. Brand new to the love and passion of beekeeping. I am trying to absorb all the knowledge and wisdom I can with beekeeping, even to the point of getting up in the middle of the night to surf bee forums, bee supply companies, watch youtube videos of beekeeping, etc.:D

I will soon be getting my first batch of bees. I know that probably the biggest challenge that first season is "drawing out the comb" from foundation, etc.

I also understand that bees naturally make this wax from glands on their abdomen and that they consume large amounts of honey to produce just a single pound of wax.

Brain thought here: Question: Could I buy beeswax, refined or close to it and shave it very thin, place it in a dish or bowl in front of the entrance and the bees use this to build comb faster?

I know bees use old comb to use as brood comb, use old honey and stores, etc. Would they use purchased beeswax to draw out the comb faster?

Has anyone thought of this or tried this? I don't know if they will or what type of beeswax they would prefer, nearly raw, refined, etc.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Honeyshack. I will be sure to order some pollen for the young hive so it will be ready when the bees arrive.

Question: Do I need to buy pollen substitute or straight pollen from some of the bee websites?

·
Registered
706 Posts
just fyi I don't use pollen patties or pollen for a new package of bees there will be pollen for them to get on their own. Feed them 1:1 till all their frames are drawn out and they are not taking any more syrup. next year use pollen patties between brood chambers in late feb for your bees to build up brood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts