Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a bit of a mystery and I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience. My wife had put a hair roller cage next to one of our hives. For some reason, the hive decided that the black hair scrunchie attached to it was a threat and attacked it. The scunchie has at least ten bee stingers in it. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas what might have provoked the hive?

109319537_3123295551039529_6585481149669802008_n.jpg

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
743 Posts
perfume, hair spray, other bees scent, alarm pheromone on her hand when she put the cage down???

The first sting set the ball rolling and other bees would have followed suite because of the alarm pheromone.

no telling really

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
black color

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have seen it with cell phone cases. Guy was photographing the hive, and shows a picture after the fact, where they had gone crazy on the black cell phone case and it was so covered in stingers you couldn't see the color of the case through them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This is interesting, I did not know bees did not like black stuff

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
think big black noses, lips, and areas around the eyes

62635a888db01160e8cfaa48e343ad51.jpg

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
perfume, hair spray, other bees scent, alarm pheromone on her hand when she put the cage down???

The first sting set the ball rolling and other bees would have followed suite because of the alarm pheromone.

no telling really
I was also thinking some sort of shampoo or something like that. Was it a brand new hair tie or was it used? I have seen and heard of bees reacting to floral and peppermint shampoo's, so that scent ending up in a used hair tie is an easy jump.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
We have a bit of a mystery and I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience. My wife had put a hair roller cage next to one of our hives. For some reason, the hive decided that the black hair scrunchie attached to it was a threat and attacked it. The scunchie has at least ten bee stingers in it. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any ideas what might have provoked the hive?

View attachment 57289
Yes! In my hair, it doesn’t matter what color the scrunching is, the bees attack it. I use nothing in my hair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts