Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much if any problems have you had with bees nearby your pool being a nuiance to the swimmers? I have a perfect location for hives about 50 ft. from my pool that would also be close to my house for observing the bees, but I can place them as far as 1500 ft. from the pool to try and cut down on them using the pool so much. Any advice appreciated.

Blueline

·
Registered
265 Posts
Put out some water with some HBH or Chicken poop in it and you should be fine.
If the swimmers continue to bother the bees just ask them to leave:D

Brooklyn

·
Registered
723 Posts
I grew up the son of a beek and with a pool. If I had a dollar for every time I went to get out of the pool, placed my hand on the ladder and WHAMMO!!! Yes, bees LOVE the pool water. From what I understand it's the salinity. You can divert them from the pool with a bird feeder with water and some Honey B Healthy in the water. It's really the lemon grass oil that attracts the bees to the bird feeder instead of the pool. You, will though, have to continue to put a little HBH in the water. The second you stop, and/or a big rain dilutes the bird feeder, they will go right back to the pool. It's worth the $$ for a bird feeder and the $24 container of HBH. Well worth it considering the alternative is constantly having your kids, their friends and your friends being stung. Take it from the kid that grew up with the swollen hands!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a six hives within approximately 60' of a pool and my experience is that if you maintain the proper amount of chlorine - as per the water test kits - the bees pretty much leave the pool alone, as long as there is a clean water source available near by. As to salinity being the attraction, I also had bees a friends place that had a salt water pool and the bees wouldn't touch it. Now, if you let the water chemistry slip, the girls will be more than happy to pull out the lounge chairs and umbrella drinks and make themselves at home!

David Benton
Tucson

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttt!!!! Salinity is what attracts them huh? Lucky me with a salt water Pool:doh: I wonder how it's going to go over when I tell the wife and daughter that the pool needs to be filled in.:applause:

Blueline

Posted this atthe same time as the above post, so didn't see that story. Maybe my wife and daughter won't have to kill me!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
When I said salinity, I didn't mean actual salt water....chlorine pools have a slight salinity to them but not like a salt water pool.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have one bird bath location the girls really love . Ive changed bird baths and they still come back .The birds dont like it much but they have other baths all over the yard. It helps if they get used to another water source before pool season.It only helps 50%.pool skimmers work pretty well too.But hey Im a beekeeper get use to it:D

·
Banned
206 Posts
I have a large pond with in 30 yds of my hives. The bees seem to perfer to get water at the sandy "beach" where the swimmers enter. Other than an ocasional sting in over 30 years, its never been an issue. Your wife, kids and friends all know you keep bees, dont they? Ask them to use a little caution and consideration around your "girls"

For what its worth, If it was me, I'd move the pool long before I move the hives.... :)

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I have a in ground pool and 2 ponds nearby. My experience is that the bees will go for the pond water instead of the pool water. However from August till the end of swimming season they do come w/ some frequency. The red wasps are more of a issue than the bees.
Kingfisher

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I have one of those plastic above-ground pools about 100 feet from my hive. Last summer the bees were all over it. They love chlorine too (one of their favorite places to perch whilst drinking was on the little float that holds the chlorine tablets). I put several tubs of water between the hive and the pool and added dirt, leaves, sticks, etc., but to no avail. By mid-summer, the bees had pretty much taken over the pool and swimming was getting hazardous unless you sat motionless in the water. Any movement would cause enough wave action to disturb the bees drinking just above the water line on the edge of the pool. They also love to rest on the rungs of the pool ladder while you are trying to get in and out too.

I learned pretty quickly not to try to spray them away with a water hose or swat at them with the pool skimmer. That just sent them back to the hive for reinforcements - lots of them. I even tried smoking the bees in the pool, but that only worked for about 15 minutes and they would be back.

The only GOOD thing about the whole ordeal was that my neighbors (with 4 young kidz) have the exact same pool set up as mine about 200 feet away. Thank God the bees didnt invade their pool.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Two things I didn't think of when ordering the bees...my wife's pool and hummingbird feeders. I may be in trouble. Let's see if she can prove that they are MY bees.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
We have humming bird feeders all around the deck (by the pool). The bees just get caught in the feeders and drown in the syrup. Not too much of a hazard there, except you will be the one re-filling the feeders instead of your wife.

Also have lots of flower beds including herbs such as rosemary, mint, and thyme around the deck. (I cant beleive how much bees like thyme!). Wife and kidz dont mind the deck bees so much, and there is always a lot of them out there. It's the potential bee-in-the-bathing-suit thing that keeps them scared out of the pool though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After reading the first reply or two I have made up my mind and will put them where I would like to, closer to the pool.............Wait.......After reading a couple more replies, I am going to keep the bees as far away as possible......Wait....The general tendency of opinions seems to be they won't be a problem, so I am going to put them as close to the pool as I want.......Wait...:doh:

Blueline

·
Registered
265 Posts
I suggest that you don't swim . Use the pool for a giant place for the bees and birds to hang out. Just get enough of HBH put it in the super large bee bath and watch the bees come.

I have a big inground pool and have never had a problem. Not sure why? Well maybe it is because I don't have any bees just yet.

Have fun

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mine found the neighbors last year...and he regrettably told me some had to go to heaven. But in August, they found my koi pond....and for the most part left them alone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts