Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know ants can take over a hive so I've been watching ants closely. I'm all of 16 days into my first hive so still have no idea what I'm talking about. Some ants found my hive after a few days so I started feeding them off to the side. Maybe a bad idea but it seemed to help. I used the sugar syrup in the ziploc bag with pinholes feeder. It took the ants a few minutes to find it, took the bees over a week to discover it.

I know YOU all know how bees combat ants but I was fascinated. I read they will turn, fan their wings, and blow the little boogers away but I haven't read the other three things I saw the bees do. Granted, I'm talking a few ants at a time here and I can't even figure out what kind of ants. They were red but didn't look like fire ants. I watched the guard bees herd them or chase them, one at a time out the front door. I also saw them walk up to ants walking on the edge and shove them off. That made me laugh. A few times one of the bees actually picked up the ant and flew off with it.

What other ways to bees defend against ants? I haven't seen any more on the front of the hive after the first week so am thinking the bees have this for now. I am worried about the fire ants, though. They aren't very active yet.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I too have fire ants. Any pile within 50' of my hives I spray with insecticide and stir up the pile and spray a lil more. Dont know if it helps the bees but dont care for fire ants anyway. I'd just make it part of your cleanup routine like mowing or whatever to keep ants at bay around your bee yard. Ohh, I've heard too that cinnamon sprinkeld around your hives will help keep ants out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts