Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Northern bc I started two hives from Nucs in April. Added a second super the end of May. The bees are so aggressive neither I or the dogs can go within 50 feet without get stung. I have had bees for four years and have never had this problem before. I work my bees or use to without a bee suite. This year I cannot get near them.

On a side note they are both vary strong hives more bees than I have ever seen before as well.

Any ideas??

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: Bees vary aggressive

You might want to set up a game camera to see if any critters are disturbing your bees at night before requeening.

·
Registered
43 Posts

That definitely sounds like something has been aggravating the bees. Similar experience when skunks, bears and other critters are causing a disturbance. Can't get near hive without bees bouncing of ones person.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You might want to set up a game camera to see if any critters are disturbing your bees at night before requeening.
Will do, see what is out there. I do live in the bush 5 clicks to anything or anybody.

Thanks for the insight.
Steve

·
Registered
5,400 Posts

After checking to see if you have something making them feel threatened. take a look at the state of the hive see if they are in good shape, queens producing hive not backfilled, room for expansion if you have a flow. If they remain aggressive, and you choose to not deal with it, requeen with a bred queen from known gentle stock. Some strains are just that way.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

Burns Lake, BC: - my first guess would be bear, probably younger, as the hives are still standing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts