Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We just checked one of our hives this afternoon and discovered that the bees have been making some awesome honeycomb on the underside and in the crawlspace of the hive's top feeder (we use the "top feeder with 4 3/4 super" made by Mann Lake). The frames of the hive body haven't been maxed out yet (there are nine): frames 1 and 2 were empty; 3 had drawn comb with nectar on one side and the other side was empty; 4-7 are a combination of capped honey, capped brood, eggs, larvae, nectar, and pollen; 8 had drawn comb/nectar on one side; 9 was empty. We cleaned up underneath the feeder super as best we could but there's still a lot of comb up in there that we couldn't get at without turning the whole thing upside down. We went ahead and put the second hive body on while we cleaned, just to act as a sort of top to the hive. When we were done cleaning, we put the feeder on top of the second hive body with the thought that -- maybe -- by doing that we'd force the bees to draw out more comb on the frames rather than building it in the feeder. Were we right to do that? The queen was seen so she's still around, but this hive was created at the same time that "mine" was (this is my husband's hive) but it seems to be a bit behind. The bees in this hive are really good nectar and pollen foragers, obviously, and seem strong in the brood pattern but the bees in my hive had, as of last weekend (a month after being hived), filled up or drawn out most of the comb on the nine frames in their hive. Should we buy a new queen (if one is available locally) to replace his? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1."Were we right to do that?"
that will work better with starter strips/foundationless frames
2."Should we buy a new queen ..."
sounds like yours is fine.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have the same feeders and mine had comb in them as well, even had brood! I did not bother to remove the comb because they will draw it again since it is a nice open area for them to do so:). Mike Haney gives solid advice, give the girl a chance!:applause:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I have the same feeder. We solved the problem by putting an inner cover under the feeder, then just the outer cover on top.
No more comb in the feeders!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts