Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live on a pond set in the woods. I walked down near the water today and found about 20 or so honeybees all over a muddy spot on the way down to the pond. There is no standing water in this spot - just mud. Is it common for them to use that as a source of water? Last summer I had a shallow dish with marbles in it to provide a water source but I didn't see a bee go near it.
It's only 58 degrees here today so I didn't think they would need water to cool the hive.

Puzzling!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
they know what trace minerals and salts they need and go where they find them- they sniff 'em out like chocolate! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bees like water with some minerals in it. Here in Florida, bees are attracted to pools using salt water systems for chlorination and often end up in the skimmer. If you are worried about there not being enough water and you are using tap water, try adding rocks or a small pinch of salt to the water before leaving it out for them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Seen here somewhere where someone also left water out and nobody showed up...i put a couple drops of lemonggrass oil in mine based on a suggestion here. We'll see if they show up now. I dont know why i bothered, i have a 50' wide river running along my backyard thats about 80- feet from the hives????:doh:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
i was cleaning out my pond the other day and more and more bees were all over the pond "stuff" we'll say. They were coming and going. They do it alot and love the koi pons, especially when its really really nasty....lol.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
As far as I know, there is no evidence to support
the idea that bees are going after minerals etc.

There is, however, evidence to support that
bees are attracted to a water source which has
an odor, over a water source which does not.

Researchers discovered, while scouts are dancing
a location of a water source back at the hive,
water dances which also communicated an odor,
gained more attention from recruits than those
which communicated no odor.

Bees often are seen foraging muddy water, clornated
water, urine places, because the odor makes these
locations a beacon.

Best Wishes,
Joe
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts