Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This newbee got a lesson in bee keeping now I am trying to answer all the questions of what went wrong. I have a hive in my back yard that was a spring swarm I have them in 1 deep super with 10 frames 6 of drawn comb I had been feeding them 1:1 syrup using a top feeder the bees built lots of comb on top of the frames going to and around the feeder but I couldnt get them to build comb on the frames I did an inspection of the hive 2 weeks ago the bees was not building comb on any of the outer 2 frames on each side in the hive I am using plastic foundation which I think may have been part of the problem. there was a lot of coming and going in front of the hive with some bees coming in with pollen the last 3 weeks. Then it happened my 16 year old called me at work friday and said a swarm of bees went overhead headed north. he thought they came out of the tree above his car in front of the house. unfortunatly he did not try to follow to see where they went. on saturday I opened the hive half my bees were gone and there was several sealed queen cells at the bottom of the frames. There was not much brood and the hive looked to be honey bound. I removed the top feeder since there is a flow of cotton honey a block from my house and added a medium super at the top of the hive with duragilt foundation. Any advise on how I could have avoided this and what I should do know would be helpful thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I have had package bees swarm with 6 frames drawn, I do try to move the undrawn frames to the center or close to center.

Bees will do strange things, remember when you thik you have them figured out they will show you something different.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Isn't that just like a female?? LOL, no offense intended ladies.
Spray the plastic comb with sugar water, sprinkle lemon oil on it, sooner or later they'll draw, might not be neat. IMHO,try to find a 'beek' near you that can lend/sell you some drawn comb and alternate it with the plastic-IE-dpdpddpdpd; where d=drawn and p=plastic it may help. Defiantly try to get a second deep on.
They need more room.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts