Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My super populated hive swarmed out before I could split it today.

They flew over 30 feet away on a pine tree.

I let them settle, dropped a new box under them, and wham, captured my first swarm.

Pretty cool when you can get up them back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd say you were in the right place at the right time, and your girls did your split for you! Like Fivej said, now go buy a lottery ticket. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Now today the bees swarmed for a second time out of my overwintered host hive.

Is it normal for the bees to swarm again?

I did catch them, but am wondering if it will occur again

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This swarm was smaller than the first huge one on Sunday.

Dam near filled a deep when I plopped them in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would add a few pics, but have no clue how to do that on this forum.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would add a few pics, but have no clue how to do that on this forum.
Just click on the icon that looks like a small picture of a tree when you are writing your post. When the pop up comes up click link at top that says "From Computer". Then clink on the link in the lower right corner that says "Basic Uploader". Browse for your photo on your computer and upload.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Yes, it might be time to put your head in the box, to help them make decisions, utilizing cells, and/or adding more boxes, or you can wait:D

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Now today the bees swarmed for a second time out of my overwintered host hive.

Yes.

I'm wondering what will happen if you destroy all but 2 queen cells - will a secondary swarm still occur even with just 2 queen cells?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
Yes.

I'm wondering what will happen if you destroy all but 2 queen cells - will a secondary swarm still occur even with just 2 queen cells?
If you assume you have no virgins running around....:) 2 cells can still be 1 swarm... I have seen them swam out till none are left, they get on a roll sometimes. Better split it with One in each 1/2, then combine if 1 does not get mated. As well if a 1/2 swarms then the swarm is 1/4 so smaller.
After, the first swarm would have been the time to go in a "change the hives mind" fortunately he caught them both, so little to no harm. I thnk I had one swarm 7 times in my Youth. So they swarm till they have exhausted the urge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts