Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 16' pool with an inflatable ring around edges. My bees are stinging the ring which is made of thin rubber. When my wife first told me this, I didn't think that the bees were capable of stinging through the ring. Every day or so we have to patch a hole in the ring and it has a bee stinger in it. We have found several dead bees in pool(one or two a day). I am working out of town now, so my wife is considering taking down pool, because she is getting tired of patching holes. Any suggestions????

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
If the bee stinger remains in the rubber, how does
the water leak through the hole thus created?

If a bee sting causes the pool to leak, isn't
this more than a little bit like a house that
collapses into rubble due to one carpenter bee or
termite?

As for why the bees might be stinging the rubber
in the first place, it could be outgassing from
the plastic creating a volatile similar to the
"sting" or "alarm" pheromones, or it could be
the motion of the water in the pool (when used)
somehow causing the bee to become "pinched" in
the rubber.

I'd like to know what happens when the rubber is
laid across and in a birdbath or some other water
source to duplicate the conditions, yet eliminate
the motion factor, and then laid out with some
sugar syrup or honey smeared on it.

It certainly is an interesting situation.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not the part that is holding water. the pool has a rubber ring filled with air. The inflated ring of air has to remain full to stop the pool from collapsing.I did not believe it either untill I saw the stinger in the ring myself.

Baffled and confused

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I love playing honeybee CSI! :cool:

I agree with Jim here. I'm impressed Jim, very open minded even for a scientist!

and also Jdg, excellent!

OK, I think know the type of pool you are talking about that has the inflatable ring around the top. I don’t mean to brag, but I do have one myself, but opted for the more sporty 8’ Wal-Mart special.

One of my 7 year old twins got out of the pool the other day and stepped on a water foraging honeybee that was collecting nice warm water that falls on the tarp the pool sits on and gets heated by the sun, first sting!

What I think is happening here Jaydee, and Jim makes very a good point in a possible cause. But why are the bees there in the first place?,,, what is the attraction??

Why I mention my sons recent sting from a water forager. Is that honeybees seem to prefer foraging warm water, that is continuous, and reliable in supply. The design of this pool allows for splashed water that lands on the inflatable sides to be warmed by the sun as it runs down and collects in the seem between the inflatable top, and side panel.

The water collects in teh seam where it is kept warm, and provides a convenient and continuous watering hole for the water foragers, and remaining there long after you are finished swiming. As swimmers rest their arms on the inflatable sides, the plastic closes on the bees causing them to defend them selves with a defensive sting as Jdg suggested.

Case of the honeybees stinging pool, solved!
:cool:

I’m counting on Jim to provide us with the scientific explanation behind this phenomenon.

I’m no lawyer, but this a dangerous hazard, a defect in the design of the pool that could cause bodily harm. I see a lawsuit.

Best Wishes,

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Hey guys, I witnessed this this evening at my son in laws, will investigate it further next time i visit, there have been no bee stings to the air ring as of yet but that is precisely where the bees go. If the bees put a hole through the air ring at this pool I am quite sure that I will be informed to bring the bees back home.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Bees will communicate a watering source by it’s smell also.

I'm thinking that besides water collecting there at the seam for the bees. Chlorine, suntan lotion and any other odors will also collect there and stay behind as the water evaporates, this creating the strongest point for odor attraction for the water foragers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts