Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A hive swarmed about 3 weeks ago. Ever since there have been a large number hanging around the bottom entrance. Since the swarm I have added a second brood box, bringing the middle 4 frames up into it. And also added a queen excluder and small honey super. Still no change. Is this just variation between hives? There are no queen cells and the weather is cool/cloudy with showers. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Dennis, You may just be in a somewhat dearth period (nectarwise) with field workers having nothing to do. As long as the swarm queen has been successfully replaced and is laying you should be fine. Our next flow here in the Finger Lakes Region of Upstate NY will be Basswood the 2nd week of July. Then suddenly thing will look busy again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clovers and fireweed are just coming into full bloom here. I would have thought all 3 hives would react similary.
If you're right I should probably start feeding them again so they can start filling out all of the empty frames. I just counted 100 bees sitting around the entrance. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts