Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had lined up queen cells with the idea of breaking all my non achieving colonies down into nucs and wintering divided doubles. I wasted the day getting the equipment together because when I started pulling frames I found no brood at all in the top boxes and when I started thru the lower brood chamber, no capped brood. I would find a hand sized patch of three or four day old brood down to eggs and going thru a dozen hives, I could count the drones I found on one hand! So, I guess it will be a good time to hit them with oxalic vapor and feed them so we can raise some winter bees.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,079 Posts
funny year
I am seeing purple Loosestrife, normal in Aug blooming already.
Maybe an early fall.

I just did a couple splits hopefully I get Queens mated. still see drones here.

GG

·
Registered
99 Posts
funny year
I am seeing purple Loosestrife, normal in Aug blooming already.
Maybe an early fall.

I just did a couple splits hopefully I get Queens mated. still see drones here.

GG
I'm in SE Michigan & had a queen mated last week. Still have lots of drones & capped brood but this year has been weird. Started out with a nice Maple flow & my overwintered colonies really broke out. I had to siphon brood out multiple times to reduce nest congestion & also made 4 nucs from each hive so far. We've had a lot of rain every 4 days or so & this seems to have both accelerated and extended the nectar flow. Also had a great crop so far, spinning 7 gallons of spring honey with a lot of full boxes still on the hives, waiting until late August to do the final extraction. Even then, I should be able to leave 2 full medium supers on each hive for the winter. Weird but productive year so far in SE Michigan.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
My condolences Vance. We got rain, and my shoes where all covered with slop by the end of the day..

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You have company and my sympathy!

We had minimal winter snow, not much rain and now fifth day in a row of smoke from forest fires. Bees haven't flown much in last five days.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
True dat, Vance. It is a known fact flatulance is high in methane, one of the greenhouse gasses. Those Mastedons where probably an invasive species anyway.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
467 Posts
There is no doubt that all of the smoke from the fires will shut down the bees. Perhaps what you are seeing is the result of an unhealthy air situation.. Good luck! To those who pray, I suggest prayers for rain in the western USA and Canada and Siberia and the Amazon basin as well.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
My understanding Is that the bees can’t navigate when too much smoke in the air?

Bought a supply of pollen patties today because of the drought and non flying.

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will e making the pilgrimage to butte soon. I just need to extract my big crop after i pull it tomorrow

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I had lined up queen cells with the idea of breaking all my non achieving colonies down into nucs and wintering divided doubles. I wasted the day getting the equipment together because when I started pulling frames I found no brood at all in the top boxes and when I started thru the lower brood chamber, no capped brood. I would find a hand sized patch of three or four day old brood down to eggs and going thru a dozen hives, I could count the drones I found on one hand! So, I guess it will be a good time to hit them with oxalic vapor and feed them so we can raise some winter bees.
Holy crap, that's bad.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Jeez Vance, that's rough. I'm eyeballing those 4% patties as well, thinking a drive to Butte for Pasties and patties might be in order soon. We usually get a knapweed bloom this time of year, stalks with many blossoms a couple feet tall but this year they are struggling to get 6" tall and force out one flower bud. You know it's dry when knapweed fails. For giggles today I weighed a hive today, 2 deeps, 10 frames, came in at a whopping 65 lbs. It was a new colony in a winter dead out but still, 65 lbs. There was a very narrow band of feed above the brood. I'm already thinking it's time to push syrup.
Cheers, my friend, best of luck,
Lee

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It resembles farming which I have been around my whole life. I got pulled and extracted by Saturday morning and my crop is mostly in a settling tank and tomorrow I will put it in buckets. Then I have bees to treat with Oxalic vapor and feed for the swarm prevention nucs some fool started in early June when the world was green. Big stretch of dry country, Get busy with your rain dance to put out the fires Lee.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I cooked up 15 lbs of 2:1 syrup today for feeding that light hive. Later tonight when the neighbors are ensconced in their beds I'll strip and do my rain dance. We got .6 rain a few days ago but it's too little too late. Gonna be a tough winter for bees not cared for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts