Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would bees remove pupa from the hive. I have one hive that is doing this. The queen has swarmed and they have a capped queen cell. Could they be making room for honey storing? There is larva and some capped brood also. They cut up and fly off with pieces of the larva. Hope someone has an answer?

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I frequently see that when varroa levels get high.....as I think drlonzo was implying.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I frequently see that when varroa levels get high.....as I think drlonzo was implying.
Indeed I was Dan! You read between the lines very well.. I was half asleep when i wrote that, otherwise i would have probably wrote in the line about the mites too. lol

·
Registered
638 Posts
I saw the same thing this morning. Lots of dead pupa on the front landing board and they wre bringing more out as I watched. I had just been in this hive Saturday. Some storage, capped brood, (no capped drone tho), larva, some live drones milling around....everything looked good. Playing wait-n-see since they know more than I do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

The hive has been treated for mites and no sign of SHB. They have put in a lot of honey and may be making room or cleaning up until they get a queen. My thoughts were along the lines of everyones replies. There's not alot of pupae taken out but enough to notice. Being new to bee's sometimes I think I watch them too much and look for problems when there aren't any.

thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts