Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Scientific American...

Bees’ bread and butter is flowers—there’s no reason they should be able to distinguish human faces. But they can.
Back in 2005, Arian Dyer at Monash University showed that bees could identify people who they associated who with sugary snacks. But could they recognize humans, or did they just see them as weird flowers?

Martin Giurfa at France’s Université de Toulouse contacted Dyer to work on that question. First, they drew simple images of facial features—dots for eyes, slashes for nose and mouth. The bees were trained to distinguish between an image with narrower features and one with wider ones.

Then the scientists asked if the insects could distinguish facelike features from non-faces? The bees won sugary rewards when they picked out faces as opposed to pictures that just had random dots and dashes.

Finally, the critters faced their ultimate task: to pick out real faces from those that had the features scrambled. And: score. Bees could indeed differentiate faces from non-faces. The study was published in the Journal of Experimental Biology. Scientists hope that the simple bee brain could be a model for automated facial recognition. Which could help in FBI stings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Which could help in FBI stings.
No pun intended right? :)

That's an interesting article. I've heard beekeepers say that when they went out to visit their hives the bees were calm, but when some stranger went around the hives, they were noticeably agitated.

G

·
I would think maybe they can distinguish our scents, as most of their reactions are caused by different sent pheromones.
:scratch:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
No scientific study here of course, but I agree with the scent distinguishment. I have heard the story from several times that bees bother some people more than others. And if someone is often bothered by them, you can take a sweaty t-shirt from that person and place it on the hive. After a week they become used to the scent and stop bothering that person.

Maybe we could train the bees to seek out and attack Bin Laden.

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
I believe that bees can indeed recognize faces, in particular the face of a clumsy or incompetent beekeeper. Consequently, I wear these...

Beekeeping Aids

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I seen a video where David Hackenburg was wearing a red bee suit. Is there a reason for him wearing it or was he just being cool?:cool:
Cool and comfortable perhaps, but I don't think that Dave worries about what he looks like. But, after a few seconds thought, I'm probably wrong about that. But I'm pretty sure about the comfortably cool part.

what does it matter if they can recognize faces if those faces are covered up by a mask? A veil. Or can they recognize faces through a veil?

Are they recognizing the same face over and over again or is it just recognizing that something is a face?

G

·
Cool and comfortable perhaps, but I don't think that Dave worries about what he looks like. But, after a few seconds thought, I'm probably wrong about that. But I'm pretty sure about the comfortably cool part.

what does it matter if they can recognize faces if those faces are covered up by a mask? A veil. Or can they recognize faces through a veil?

Are they recognizing the same face over and over again or is it just recognizing that something is a face?
You miss the point! Bees see color alittle different than us humans. I never said they could see his face! I am simply asking why?..... as most beeks suits are white.:popcorn:

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
You miss the point! Bees see color alittle different than us humans. I never said they could see his face! I am simply asking why?..... as most beeks suits are white.:popcorn:
if you go to bee-l and search on the red bee suits they had a discussion on this in the last couple of months. its a very popular color for bee suits in either england or eaurop, or amybe with a few on their list. if I find the link later I will post it.

if you go look 2010 jan week 3 and 4
and look under title The colors bees don't see/fashion news

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
The second half of my post was not in refereence to the first half. I do know what you mean and in David's case, it doesn't seem to matter. I have worked w/ him and around him and he does just fine and so do his bees. Red or not.

Shoot. Brother Adam wore black wool clothing while working his bees. That's what they wore at the Abbey. I don't recommend it.

Why? As most beeks wear white? I'll ask him the next time I talk to him.

G

·
Shoot. Brother Adam wore black wool clothing while working his bees. That's what they wore at the Abbey. I don't recommend it.
Wow... Black? Wearing white is hot enough for me!!
I just thought maybe in red bees would not bother one as much as white.
Dave is like a very popular Beek, so I thought maybe he knew something we might not know. Heck even red would be hot. I will conclude that in my opinion bees can not recognize ones face. If you make an inspection of a hive every 10 days a bee would only see you 3 to 4 times if it was even there when you did the inspection. I don't think bees have a photographic memory. Not to mention the ones that are only 10 days old that have never seen you before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts