Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,
the other day I did a inspection on some of my new NUCs.
The bees were pulling out their own larvae and for some reason there were no eggs present, but the Queen was in there.
The hive had SHB in them, not a crazy amount but definitely noticeable, so I put a beetle trap in the box and left it alone.

It hit me just then, would the girls be in a SHB induced panic mode? Could the reason for pulling out larvae be that the beetles laid eggs in the cells and the bees tried to clean the hive?
As they potentially see this as a ‚ all is lost case‘ could the reason for the absence of eggs be a swarm preparation?
Any thoughts please?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
any food in the hive, honey flow? are you treating for mites at this time?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good morning everyone,
the other day I did a inspection on some of my new NUCs.
The bees were pulling out their own larvae and for some reason there were no eggs present, but the Queen was in there.
The hive had SHB in them, not a crazy amount but definitely noticeable, so I put a beetle trap in the box and left it alone.

It hit me just then, would the girls be in a SHB induced panic mode? Could the reason for pulling out larvae be that the beetles laid eggs in the cells and the bees tried to clean the hive?
As they potentially see this as a ‚ all is lost case‘ could the reason for the absence of eggs be a swarm preparation?
Any thoughts please?
Many thanks!
What has the weather been like in your area? Any chance the bees are pulling out chilled brood?

·
Registered
127 Posts
No eggs in spring?

You need a new queen?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks guys,

The weather is comfortable warm, about 30 degrees C (85 F) we have had a very rainy month, but there appears to be still a lot of action at the front door.

The larvae colour was white, definitely not drone brood.

The queen is from last season and update she has been laying quite well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just a wild suggestion, but they could be diploid drones.

If the two sex chromosomes in a worker egg are identical, the worker egg (in a worker cell) will develop into a drone.
Nurse bees can tell, and usually destroy those larvae.
This typically only happens if one or more of the drones the queen was mated with was a close relative, a brother of the Queen from the same hive.
How much brood is being pulled? Not sure how semen selection goes in a queen, if you get a batch from one drone or not...

EDIT: Oldtimers question leads to a more reasonable explanation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Whatever it is, it's probably covid related

You should take them all to your local emergency room and demand immeadiate testing.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,925 Posts
Normally they get rid of the larvae if they cannot feed it or there is something wrong with it.
Can you make a trip and get us couple Pics of a couple brood frames.

Could be dearth
Queen could be laying more eggs that the nurse bees can care for
Some brood sickness.
Space issues.
Pesticide may have been in some larvae food and had an effect.

This the only hive with this symptom? if yes then the dearth reason is apparently not Appling to the other hives, do they have more stores?

GG

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again, I will go out there again today and will take some photos. I don’t think it’s a dearth situation, all other hives are bringing in lots if nectar and pollen. When I briefly checked on them yesterday without opening the hive, they were bringing in pollen and seemed to be acting ‚normal‘
I do a proper hive check again today and will post the results.

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
Yes. Some good brood pics, and also a pic of their honey if there is any.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Thanks again, I will go out there again today and will take some photos. I don’t think it’s a dearth situation, all other hives are bringing in lots if nectar and pollen. When I briefly checked on them yesterday without opening the hive, they were bringing in pollen and seemed to be acting ‚normal‘
I do a proper hive check again today and will post the results.
A comb could have broke off
a mouse could have ripped around in there.

Many possibility's Have a care full look

GG

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so I checked again yesterday, they appeared to be all calm again. There are new egs and hatching larvae, but hardly any capped brood left.
There are no SHB to be seen, but the girls are hovering around the trap a lot. I assume that the SHB have been chased into the trap.
There is plenty of food present in the combs.
My assumption would be that the girls were stressed out with the beetles. There may have been beetle larvae hatching in the capped brood, hence they cleaned it out. A friend caught a swarm and a week or so later the swarm left the new box, SHB larvae crawling out of a lot of the new brood.
Grille Mesh Material property Automotive lighting Font

Pollinator Beehive Honeycomb Vertebrate Mesh

Grille Mesh Line Plant Circle

Sleeve Natural material Pollinator Insect Pattern

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I do not see capped honey.
Is there a frame or 2 in the hive?
If they are back to normal then I guess just monitor.

GG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts