Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened a while ago, but it's been bothering me. After installing a couple of packages I left the queens in the cage for 3 days. When I went to go check on them 1 was out and ruling her domain. The other was stuck in the cage with workers PACKED into it squishing her into the back. I thought she was dead. I pried of the side screens and she fell out onto the frame tops (I was holding it low so she only fell a couple inches), looked dazed for a second and then scurried (I mean regaly walked) into the hive. 2 weeks later I had to requeen that hive.

Had anyone seen them do this? Was it aggression toward her, or just them trying to be as close as possible? Could it be the reason it went queenless? It's got me stumped, and I don't like being stumped. Any thoughts, knowledge, guesses, etc would be welcome.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah. I had this happen. Except I left the cage in for 7 days. I think it's because, for whatever reason, the hive just won't accept her. But, they can't kill her as they can only trickle in (think 300).

I had the same result, but my queen provider is an hour and a half away, so I just let them requeen themselves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts