Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 hives total (all doubles) 2 of them seem a little odd to me. They started off brood development in the bottom as a single. After I added the second box several weeks ago, both were utilized. But as of lately, the bottom deeps have activity but no production or storage. Just nice clean, drawn out frames. The top deeps weigh alot with honey and all brood production up top as well. Thoughts?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Some will say switch them, but I would leave them alone, it is normal for them to proceed to the top box and fill it with brood, usually they will go back down prior to winter leaving the top box for winter stores.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Very likely you are in the summer dearth and they are slowly eating all their winter stores.

I would start feeding them in a couple weeks if they don't start backfilling the top deep, and feed them 2:1 syrup and some protein patty in September, keeping up the syrup until they have the top deep full of stores and are in the bottom.

I did not do this the first year I had bees and they starved out in the early spring -- not enough bees to keep the wax moths at bay.

Peter

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Very likely you are in the summer dearth and they are slowly eating all their winter stores.

I would start feeding them in a couple weeks if they don't start backfilling the top deep, and feed them 2:1 syrup and some protein patty in September, keeping up the syrup until they have the top deep full of stores and are in the bottom.

I did not do this the first year I had bees and they starved out in the early spring -- not enough bees to keep the wax moths at bay.

Peter
I agree with psfred about feeding 2:1. Last year by late summer one of my colonies (medium over deep) had eaten all stores in the bottom box, leaving nice empty comb. For the next 4 weeks I fed with 2:1, and the bees refilled the empty combs, helping them make it through a really tough winter in very good shape.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
I have outside frames in bottom deep filled with honey and then some with a bit more pollen. Center 4 or 5 frames are polished cells. Lots of capped brood upper box but the honey top is pushing the queen down. In a couple of weeks I think the queen will be laying up those polished cells in the bottom box. Checked one like that today that weighed just over 100 lbs. Gross. Target 125 lbs. Right on schedule. Shouldnt have to feed but watch they dont go above that weight or may have to steel away a frame of honey to keep them room. Last year a different story; no fall flow and had to scramble to get feed into them as the cold weather approached.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts