Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I went out to check on the hives yesterday. I hadn't been out in a while and it was a warmish day.. up to about 4 or 5 degrese celcius. My hives are south facing and wraped in bee cozies.

When i got to around 40-50 feet from the hives behind them i started noticing bees on the snow. more as i got closer to the hives. The were scattered around the hives to the south west and north... not so much to the east. Some had sunken into the snow to varying depths.. I assume depending on how long they were there. I would guess maybe 1-200 bees in total as well as lots of what i assume are poo marks. They were stains on the snow around pea sized... none on the landing boards or on the cozies that i could see.

I have put a few pics up.. not the best quality from my phone.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not to worry. After a cold spell, when the sun comes out and warms things up a bit the bees will go out for cleansing flights and carrying out dead bees from the hive. They will drop the dead ones away from the hive and also, some of those flying around will land on the snow and then get too cold to take off again. Odd behavior about the landing part but I've seen them do it every time we have a snow and then it warms up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet. I was concerned by the number of bees. And now that you mentioned it a number of them did look older.. well dead a while anyway and others were clearly dead that day.. probably from landing on the snow.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I went out to check on the hives yesterday. I hadn't been out in a while and it was a warmish day.. up to about 4 or 5 degrese celcius. My hives are south facing and wraped in bee cozies.

When i got to around 40-50 feet from the hives behind them i started noticing bees on the snow. more as i got closer to the hives. The were scattered around the hives to the south west and north... not so much to the east. Some had sunken into the snow to varying depths.. I assume depending on how long they were there. I would guess maybe 1-200 bees in total as well as lots of what i assume are poo marks. They were stains on the snow around pea sized... none on the landing boards or on the cozies that i could see.

I have put a few pics up.. not the best quality from my phone.

Mine look like that too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Same here. I have one hive (out of 3) that will not stay in the hive. Don't know why but hope they're still alive come spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts