Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a friend advise I move some bees to soybeans, which I did last night. Moved 11 hives with help from a teenage boy... in spite of the stings, he did fine, I got heat exhaustion and sick. After we picked up the hives, and I drove to the soybean location, I had planned to unload the hives onto stands I had prepared. But decided not to, as we'd have to carry each hive too far. I no longer had the strength to do much of anything. I backed the trailer into a safe place, unhooked it, and left the hives on the trailer.

My Concern? The trailer is a car hauler, flat bed steel framed and steel deck trailer. The hives are on the traditional stand, screened bottom board, all but 2 with slatted racks, then the hive bodies. I am concerned during July and August the steel will act as an oven, and overheat the hives.

Is the concern valid? What can I do to alleviate heat gain in the hives while on the trailer?
Thanks!
Steven

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I would paint as much of the trailer deck as you can get to, white. Then cut some 2x2 lumber into hive width lengths and put a stick across the front and back of each hive to raise them up for more air flow. Don't know how hot it gets where you are but down here you can fry eggs on a steel deck in summer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts