Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you seen this? I had always thought that bees were not interested in lilacs. I thought that the flowers were too deep for the bees' probosci. This is my 4th year and I had never seen the bees on our lilacs. But today I saw a handful of bees working them. And it's not like there is no other nectar flow- the dandelion nectar flow is full on right now.

IMG_3961.jpg IMG_3964.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have lilacs all around my bee yards and rarely see a honeybee on them. Every once in a while I will see a couple bees investigating or collecting some nectar, but it is awfully rare (and disappointing since there is so much bloom available :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
My backyard hive is surrounded by lilacs. I've seen them on the lilacs in the morning, but I suspect that it is either a dew (water) source or they are able to collect excess nectar. It certainly is much less interesting to them than the few remaining dandelions in my yard.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a whole swarm move into a lilac bush about a week ago. It was about 2 feet off the ground and so easy to catch. :)
Robee

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Lilacs are good nectar producers, but structurally require a long proboscis to access the nectaries (like a bumble has). Perhaps your lilacs are a little shorter, allowing honeybee access.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts