Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been extremely cold here; listened at one hive, didn't hear anything with the stethoscope, peeked in and the bees were very active around the center hole in the inner cover and on top of the inner cover. I had used a 2" shim and tacked #8 hardware cloth on the bottom and filled with a sugar mix of water and a little HBHEALTHY that hardened; this was set on top of the frames in the upper brood box and the inner cover over this then the outer cover. The was done back in November. I am not sure what to think about this; should I be concerned? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Did you lift the hive a bit from the rear to judge the weight?
and was there any of the sugar candy left?

the position of the bees at the top isn't a concern.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
In my part of the country that would mean they need food and I would pour dry sugar on the inner cover

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I have several hives with bees on the inner cover. A few 100 easy. They are doing just fine and have plenty of weight. I have no sugar or feed on. I think most of these are new bees, surplus bees that would rather go up than down and hang out under the warm insulated tops.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree with Clyde on this one---I don't know about the bees location as being the key indicator---In my experience my hives always seem to be right under the inner cover even early in winter. A better Judgement can be made just by lifting the hive from the rear and "hefting" it to see if its light on stores, in which case I would add more dry sugar as that it is all you can do this time of year.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the sugar all gone?
Hi Mark, I didn't want to completely open it, too cold for that...I will lift the back and see if it is light as suggested...I will feed them more sugar if needed. I dont have any type of "quilt" on the hive, I used the sugar in the shim for moisture. Do you think I need to add more of the sugar cake in the shim for moisture absorption even if they don't need the sugar for food? Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you lift the hive a bit from the rear to judge the weight?
and was there any of the sugar candy left?

the position of the bees at the top isn't a concern.
Thank you, I thought them being up there was a concern...it seems like it would be too cold for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts