Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had a very wet and cold spring here in Eastern Oregon. Today was finally warm. The bees were happy and all over the dandelions. I noticed many bees were coming back to the hive full of pollen and nectar and landing in the grass in front of the hive. At the end of the day I had about 50 worker bees clinging to the grass in front of the hive. They seemed weak and have since died.

I know that bees climbing grass in the front of the hive can be a sign of Nosema or Tracheal Mites. How do I know which to treat? Or is some bees clinging to the grass and dying in front of the hive normal?? I was thinking maybe these are old workers who have been cooped up to long inside and are to weak to make it back into the hive fully loaded.

Other than that the hive seems healthy and happy.

Thanks for the advice.
BDJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does an examination cost? How do I find out who our regional examiner is?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
In TN it's free. Google "Apiarist" for your state. Should get some kind of hits. Just googled. Here is a link that should be able to get you anything you need. http://licenseinfo.oregon.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=license_seng&link_item_id=13856

BTW, checked out the hive where the queen left. I am queenless, no eggs, no larva, no capped brood.........nada! :cry:

Gave the queen to another beek today. Maybe she will stay in his hive since she has been caged for 4 or 5 days. Plus he will put the little nuc box in his hive for a few more days before letting her out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts