Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two out of four colonies that survived our harsh winter are not taking sugar syrup (2:1). There is what appears to be good activity on warm days around the entrances with some pollen being brought in, but the syrup level does not go down. I can't believe this early that they are finding that much nectar here in West-Central Missouri. Is it possible there are just not enough surviving bees to forage and care for brood during our intermittently chilly spring weather? I've purposely tried not to open yet and inspect frame by frame due to the early season.

·
Registered
638 Posts
For spring feeding and building brood it's generally reccomended to use 1:1.
The 2:1 is more for fall/winter storage buildup. Not sure if thats it. Evenin central florida it's stayed kinda chilly here later than usual.
Are your girls out flying and bringing anything back??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never could type. I meant 1:1 syrup. Yes, during the warmth (60's-70's F) of mid-days there is good activity and I mentioned visible pollen coming in.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
if the bees have nectar available they are not to interested in syrup. if the weather turns or there is a dearth then they will go after the syrup. if you have it available for only part of your hives watch out for robbing. as always there is variation hive to hive.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Have you done a complete hive inspection lately?Look for swarm cells.Sometimes prior to swarming they will not feed.Sometimes they have enough stores and just don't need it.I'd do an inspection to see what's going on.What type of feeder are you using?The holes in the cap may be blocked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts