Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of frames of honey left over from last winters dead out hives. I took a couple of 10 frame deeps with honey to the bee yard and they neglected it. We have very hot weather and a good flow. Are they more interested in new nectar supply or don’t they like the older but still good honey.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Did you place the frames in the open to be robbed out or place them in a hive? Are they capped? If capped, scratch a few open and watch the frenzy begin.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I left them in their deep boxes. They are capped. Thanks for the advice. I will scratch them tomorrow.
Did you place the frames in the open to be robbed out or place them in a hive? Are they capped? If capped, scratch a few open and watch the frenzy begin.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,888 Posts
One more thing, do not place the honey near your hives! Set the boxes at least a 200-300' away. Once the robbing starts, it is both beautiful and horrific to see. You do not want your hives to be close by. Depending on how many hives you have, they could move an entire deep's worth of honey (60-70#s) in a few hours to a day or two.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I have found that gently scraping the caps is not nearly as effective as really raking them up hard, even damaging cell walls a bit. Wherever you leave caps intact they will work around and leave capped honey untouched

If you have supers on they will move the honey up. If you are making up queen mating nucs those bees will clean them out to make room for the new queen to lay. I think they really would prefer fresh nectar that they do not have to haul water to thin it down.

If you are putting the frames into hives, only do one or two at a time per hive since they may leak and cause robbing.

In cold climate I find corners of frames dont get cleaned out and old honey gets left from year to year. It becomes wasted space as far as brood rearing goes. I have to more or less dump it in their laps and force their hand into doing something with it. This happpens even in surviving colonies. Maybe I feed them too well!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have about 10 hives in that yard. Since I have quite a few deeps with frames of honey what would be your opinion if I stored them and fed them in he hives in the fall?
One more thing, do not place the honey near your hives! Set the boxes at least a 200-300' away. Once the robbing starts, it is both beautiful and horrific to see. You do not want your hives to be close by. Depending on how many hives you have, they could move an entire deep's worth of honey (60-70#s) in a few hours to a day or two.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,888 Posts
That works too. Is there any reason you don't want to extract these frames of honey for your own use? I usually use extra frames of capped sugar syrup in nucs or to feed back during our dearth which has pretty much already started here, but honey I would keep.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JW
I really should as i have a lot of coped honey in super frames as well. I didn't want to set up everything for extracting and then leave everything for about another month until I do my regular extracting.Quite frankly our weather has been so poor hat I really am wondering if we will have any reasonable amount to extract this year. Looks like the worst year for the past 10 years. I like your suggestion and will just wait and use it this fall.
That works too. Is there any reason you don't want to extract these frames of honey for your own use? I usually use extra frames of capped sugar syrup in nucs or to feed back during our dearth which has pretty much already started here, but honey I would keep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts