Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,060 Posts
so do a couple frames with strips of wax foundation, they will draw the drone, then the next one over is your black, plastic they do not like. like 3,5,7 with strip of foundation rest the same as you have.

BYW I always put 3 combs in the center of a super, that first one is a bugger, with just foundation, then next ones are easy as you have active comb.

GG

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Yes Gino, We only kill the queen

GG is right, try REAL foundation, made of just beeswax.

Crazy Roland

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
If you can source wax from non-commercial beekeepers, or make your own from cappings.

DO NOT buy commercial wax foundation. It's an expensive way to contaminate your comb.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So about a week ago i thought id trick them...simply put a medium super frame down in the brood box to get drawn & then once done move it up into the super & bobs your uncle....last night i checked the progress....
They sure showed me lol View attachment 64624
You had a great idea Newbeek just went about it wrong. You can place two medium box’s togather to form a deep, medium frame in the bottom box, one in the upper place them in line vertically between your deep frames and they will draw out that comb where you wanted it. It’s requires more work but if you need mediums drawn out hey.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Username - I must beg to differ. I have contacted a major supplier of wax foundation, and spoke personalty to the man in charge of foundation production. He assured me that their process removes the pesticides found in the wax they purchase to a level that is inconsequential.. He promised me lab results when he finds them. Or own results from starting 60 hives on foundation collaborates his information. The 60 hives on foundation outperformed the hives on drawn comb..

Crazy Roiland

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
So about a week ago i thought id trick them...simply put a medium super frame down in the brood box to get drawn & then once done move it up into the super & bobs your uncle....last night i checked the progress....
They sure showed me lol View attachment 64624
Oh yeah, I have done that too. I ran out of deeps once and put some mediums in to work as placeholders so the wouldn't attach to the inner cover, then forgot about them. They built very nice straight drone comb on all of them.
I had to be very careful about flipping them for a while, but now years later they have become pretty tough.

Alex

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got two nucs that have drawn out and filled the brood boxes. I added a super and queen excluder to both. They do not want to go through the excluder. The supers are bare foundation.
So I took out the excluder. Did I do the right thing? I don't expect excess honey from these as the summer flow will be over in a couple of weeks. Will be goldenrod in the fall. What is the best strategy to get comb built out for next year? Thanks.
Sometimes removing queen excluder is a best option if they were not moving to super. Once the comb built and sometimes queen lays in super. After that you can keep queen excluder. Or if the frames are of same size then move one brood or honey frame to top so they can go to super. Or give a top entrance,2 days they do some nuisance by orienting themselves through top entrance. But while going from top they can fastly build comb and fill the above super.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,164 Posts
Bees usually won't go through an excluder to get to bare foundation. They will to get to drawn comb if they need somewhere to store nectar. They will to get to brood that needs to be cared for.

·
Registered
2 Lagstroth hives
10 Posts
Need yalls opinion in reference to bees not going through queen excluder....what if you build a small square wood piece, the size of an entrance reducer, to sit between the excluder and the honey super with the small opening of the reducer as an entrance above the excluder. That way, they could access the honey super above the excluder.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Need yalls opinion in reference to bees not going through queen excluder....what if you build a small square wood piece, the size of an entrance reducer, to sit between the excluder and the honey super with the small opening of the reducer as an entrance above the excluder. That way, they could access the honey super above the excluder.
I tried that for a very short while and was finding too much pollen in honey supers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I started this thread and thought I would make an update. I removed the excluders and they moved up to the foundation and is now almost all drawn out with nectar in place.I put the excluders back on yesterday and looks like I will get a box of honey off both of them. One word "Patience". KD

41 - 55 of 55 Posts