Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two nucs that have drawn out and filled the brood boxes. I added a super and queen excluder to both. They do not want to go through the excluder. The supers are bare foundation.
So I took out the excluder. Did I do the right thing? I don't expect excess honey from these as the summer flow will be over in a couple of weeks. Will be goldenrod in the fall. What is the best strategy to get comb built out for next year? Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If the frames are the same size just move one frame of brood up to the new super that should help out. I don’t use queen excluders because same problem you are having...I like the saying that they are honey excluders..hope that makes sense and hope that helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was going to do that but my brood boxes are deeps and my my supers are mediums.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
700 Posts
QEs are great tools but when I saw my bees struggling with them I took them out. Your question had to do with Comb Building, My top video on the subject.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QEs are great tools but when I saw my bees struggling with them I took them out. Your question had to do with Comb Building, My top video on the subject.
Thanks, I've watched many of your videos. You are excellent at showing your methods and getting your point across.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Foundation will be totally ignored, even without an excluder. It's difficult to get bees to turn a super of foundation into a super of honey.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,056 Posts
Foundation will be totally ignored, even without an excluder. It's difficult to get bees to turn a super of foundation into a super of honey.
UUHH I think I will let my bees dispute that.

I make comb honey every year and use thin surplus foundation, after cutting it out of the frame put the wet super back on the hive and in short order they will draw out another round of comb honey.

This is the first round of comb on foundation.........above a queen excluder.
Resized952021052695185740954328.jpg

This is the harvested product on foundation above a QE
Resized952021062895105434955064.jpg

Ross rounds above a QE
Resized952021052695190056951708.jpg

Partial pic of the set up. This is all run off of a single 10 frame deep.
Resized95202105269519062295969.jpg

Your bees mileage may vary.
You have to start out with a very strong hive and keep them crowded to the point of swarming. There has to be a flow on and you have to stay a step ahead of them with more room, that is what I have learned over the years.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Try putting a box of the medium foundation under your brood box around the time you would be pulling off the honey supers. I have managed to get some drawn out at least partially and without being brooded up. Take them out before spring build up.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
OP if you really want them to draw out that comb, stick a top feeder with gallons of 1:1 syrup on the colony.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Start thinking like a bee. They only want the volume of one deep to live in. You supplied two. Why should they go up????? We run single deeps, with deep supers, and have no problems with excluders.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
The supers are bare foundation.
Why should they go to the bare foundation?
There is nothing there for them and they are not desperate for space just yet.
Read up how to pull the bees into a new box.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why should they go to the bare foundation?
There is nothing there for them and they are not desperate for space just yet.
Read up how to pull the bees into a new box.
I have been reading, just looking for some advice. Both brood boxes are full and I don't have any extra drawn out supers.Thanks for all the responses. KD

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got two nucs that have drawn out and filled the brood boxes. I added a super and queen excluder to both. They do not want to go through the excluder. The supers are bare foundation.
So I took out the excluder. Did I do the right thing? I don't expect excess honey from these as the summer flow will be over in a couple of weeks. Will be goldenrod in the fall. What is the best strategy to get comb built out for next year? Thanks.
3’d year beekeeper here so take this for what it’s worth. Had the same issue last year trying to get my mediums built out. With the bare foundation in the mediums, I had to take out the excluder for them to build on them. Once built out I moved the queen below and put the excluder in and they filled them up for the most part. Spraying the foundation with sugar water and honey bee healthy(home made or store bought) helped. The above suggestion about putting sugar water for them to eat, a gallon or two, will also work wonders. The main thing that will really help is surplus of bees and a heavy flow.

again 3’d year here and still learning a lot as we go…

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

Maybe you need to trade in your bees for some productive ones. Our bees go thru the excluder immediately after we put it on. Want them to go thru and start drawing bare foundation, also trivially easy, just put a box of stickies above the box of bare foundation. Do it on a decent flow, wait two weeks, come back and lift off two supers ready for extracting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try adding a wet frame or two after you extract honey from another known healthy and strong hive. They'll go up for that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In my opinion, yes you did the right thing. But why not move them to new full size hives?

If you want to get the bees to draw on new foundation, pre-wax the foundation even if it's supposedly waxed already. Use a speedy roller frame with a foam roller. I do this with every frame because there's nothing that makes me more crazy than having foundation that the bees won't draw out completely because it's nothing but dry plastic. And remove the excluder. As I tell every "new" beekeeper...Would you rather the bees swarm or move up and use the super to expand the brood nest temporarily? But I'm in Florida so it's much more of a problem to keep them from swarming because they're constantly building and expanding.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts