Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a second year hive. I'm in New Jersey. I added a honey super a week or two ago, but the bees are not drawing out the foundation (plastic). Is there anything I need to do to encourage them?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Have a large, rapidly growing population and an ongoing strong honeyflow.

You need to coordinate your management to ensure the first happens (increasing hive population), but the second (strong honeyflow), is usually dependent on location and other natural conditions, unless you have opportunity to locate near obliging cultivated crops

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Were the bees bursting at the seams before you added your box? Bees will often ignore supers if they already have more room than they need.

·
Registered
825 Posts
First, for me anyways, plastic foundation is the LAST thing my bees will touch (though admittedly, others have had more success). Second, it is only the end on April in NJ, after a GAWD aweful winter...What's blooming up there to give them a flow??? Seen any dandelions yet? Pussy willows? I think you are asking wayyy too much of them, wayyy too early. JMO! Have they even managed to re-build their population yet? I also admit I am basing my opinions on the weather and observations of a fellow beek in the Boston area. I still can't imagine you would be that far ahead to actually be having a flow, though I could be wrong. I will echo AD's post...bees will only work the space they want and/or need. JMO...I think you may be jumping the gun. Be patient, and you will be rewarded, but let the bees tell you what they need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts