Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a foundation called, "7-11" which is used primarily as a cut comb foundation. I am using it as a sort of built in queen excluder as the queen will not lay in the odd shaped cells the bees draw out. My problem is my bees are not drawing it out. Maybe I am a little early in the flow and they are still stocking up their hive but I would still enjoy some opinion of how to make the plain was foundation more appealing for them to draw out.
Thanks
Howard
S.E., NC

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
My guess is you're just a bit early and impatient. The bees won't draw a box added, without a bait frame of brood, until they are absolutely crowded and packed with a flow on. Give them time, but check once a week or two for swarm cells as they get more crowded. They have to be crowded into the box added sometimes. Also, keep in mind that the bees have to discuss things and come to a general consensus before changing plans of what to do with this newly added space you've given them.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Howard, I too use 7-11 foundation, and trust me, if she wants to, the queen WILL lay in comb built on that foundation - generally drones... :doh:
As mentioned, might be a bit early in the flow.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try spraying the foundation and feeding light syrup to see of this helps. I don't like to use excluders. I feel like I can manage the supers if the queen decides to lay in them. As I mentioned before I have had this happen before and I simply put her in the bottom box, moved the brood to the outside part of the super and the bees cleaned them out and filled them with honey.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts