Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i prepared pollen patties from these ingredients:
soy flour, powdered milk, egg, electrolites, crushed vitamin c tablet, sugar and water. The mixture became a bit runny so i added some wheat flour to make a dough which can hold.

The problem is that i dont think the bees are consuming the patties. One more thing i should mention is they are bringing some fresh pollen, but very very less. Is that why they are not eating patties ?

please answer

Thank you

·
Registered
638 Posts
My wife sometimes makes things that I dont like. Like the bees...I keep my mouth shut and find someway of getting rid of it. Could be they just dont like it.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
They won't take them up if they don't have brood to feed, no matter how good your recipe is.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I didn't know bees liked milk and eggs. :) I never see them in my hen house or around my cows. :popcorn: But we usually have some pollen source on any day bees can fly in middle TN.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Lauri is exactly right about needing it for brood. It is even important that the substitute is within an inch and a half of open brood.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
They won't take them up if they don't have brood to feed, no matter how good your recipe is.
That makes me feel better about pinching a queen and replacing her recently. I was pretty confident she'd stopped laying before raising winter bees, but a few people who had not seen this apathetic and shrinking colony were making me doubt the decision. One symptom: the would not eat a pollen substitute the other two colonies found quite tasty.

There was capped brood present, but apparently dead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The queen has already stopped laying and there are just winter bees. Does that mean they won't eat patties ?

I think about 20% simple sugar i used.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Bump it to 50% an see if your results are the same. Place the new patty close to the old one and see if start on the high sugar one. Pm me your results.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I did not think bees stored patties other than within their body. I have seen dry supplement stored.

I Echo Lauri. I do not feed on the same scale as most migratory beekeepers. I will feed in the spring, and they only start consuming the patty when brood is being fed otherwise it's ignored.

Perhaps we can share some experience?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Ya... that includes me. :) :) lol

The queen starts laying eggs because...... the bees pharyngeal glands are over flowing as they feed the queen, this trigger by consumption of pollen sub or pollen.

Take a package feed it sub & syrup with a caged queen watch what happens. Take a tight winter cluster, put sub in the middle and watch what happens, no brood btw. :)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Ya... that includes me. :) :) lol

The queen starts laying eggs because...... the bees pharyngeal glands are over flowing as they feed the queen, this trigger by consumption of pollen sub or pollen.

Take a package feed it sub & syrup with a caged queen watch what happens. Take a tight winter cluster, put sub in the middle and watch what happens, no brood btw. :)

Yes, I'll rephrase. A quick and simple answer is never complete when it comes to bees.

In my experience in my Northern State, they generally won't take up protein patties unless they have brood to feed..or are in anticipation of doing so.

FALL refusal of patty consumption (If your recipe is a good palatable one) leads me to believe they have brooded down already or are possibly queenless. Possibly a heavy mite load and they are chronically depressed. But more than likely in November, they have no brood to feed.

Unless your bees are in California.

I see now from the OP his is a region I am not familier with. Now all bets are off.

Srinagar indian occupied jammu and kashmir

If it's spring there I'd say ether he is a bad cook or he is queenless.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Naaay.....

Feed'em some nutra bee and she will fire off faster than an AK-47. :)
Just tell us what you lace it with:rolleyes:

Cannabis IS legal in Washington ya know.. might give them the munchies

It also has medicinal qualities. Would that still qualify as treatment free?

'Lauri's Elixir brood stimulator'. I can see it now...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts