Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 hives, and one of them has been bringing back a lot of pollen. The second has been bringing back very little pollen. There is also a lot more activity with the first hive. Should I be putting a pollen patty into the second hive? Both hives do have capped brood. I live in Minnesota so I feel like my bees are both off to a good start.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
how long has it been since you saw capped brood in the hive that is not bringing in pollen? did you see the queen and/or a good pattern of eggs or young larvae as well?

pollen is used to make jelly which is fed to open brood. it gets used up quickly during the spring build up.

not always, but sometimes not seeing a lot of pollen coming in at this time of year means something has happened to the queen and there isn't any open brood to feed.

other times you can see that if the colony has a lot of brood relative to the number of bees and can't afford to send out too many foragers until some of the brood emerges.

if you have verified recently you have a queen laying a good pattern of eggs just give it some time. you probably have enough field pollen available so the patty isn't really necessary.

if you just took a quick look and saw capped brood without verifying the presence of a laying queen it wouldn't hurt to check a little closer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was just a couple days ago that I saw brood and eggs in both hives. I’m not even sure where any of the bees have been getting pollen since it is still snowing here occasionally. Sounds like I should wait a bit before I start to worry though.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I live in northern NY. If it were me I would keep pollen sub going till mid may as it can be rainy and cold till then. Once its nicer (early to mid may)I would equalize the colonies. Also I would feed 2:1 syrup. Unless honey bound, in which case open up to let the queen lay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts