Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it has been a good ride, but it appears that bees are no longer required to pollinate almonds. :ws:

Take a look at the latest new method to pollinate almonds!

visit: www.pollen-tech.com and watch the video of how your bees are going to be replaced.

Well it's time to go fishing! :)

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Well it has been a good ride, but it appears that bees are no longer required to pollinate almonds. :ws:

Take a look at the latest new method to pollinate almonds!

visit: www.pollen-tech.com and watch the video of how your bees are going to be replaced.

Well it's time to go fishing! :)
Interesting. I wonder where they found "over 200 acres" to test of almonds that don't have any bees nearby to interfere with the testing though.

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
This reminds me of another fad - hype bandwagon that blew through several years ago.
Maybe some of you that were pollinating almonds about 10 years ago will remember this:
Anyway, I returned to California to start loading bees out of almonds and to my shock and surprise, every hive entrance had this really goofy 1" x 1" notched reducer looking thing in place.
I really don't like people messing with my hives and that is CLEARLY spelled out in our contract.
So I called my grower and asked what the ?????
He had stumbled onto some company that sold bags of pollen and entrance reducers that you poured pollen into each morning so that the bees had to crawl through the pollen in order to fly to the blooms.
I later learned that the system was VERY EXPENSIVE, and the grower could have just rented more hives for less money and hassle.
Fortunately, that fad passed, at least in my region down there.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The webpage says they get pollen from Firman Pollen.
This is same company that makes the square entrance pollen dusters
Viz: http://www.firmanpollen.com/Insert To Do.htm

Look at the pricing chart just for the pollen: http://www.firmanpollen.com/pricing.html

The use case might be unusual spring weather that washes the pollinator variety off the tree, while leaving the target crop flowers unaffected. Don't see it replacing hives on a wholesale basis under non-exceptional conditions.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Did anyone notice during his narration that he mentioned only 1 farmer that had went with their solution. Seems to me maybe this farmer didn't have the cash for bees and went for this instead. Probably a field trial to verify that it would work. Most likely a free service to the farmer....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This reminds me of another fad - hype bandwagon that blew through several years ago.

He had stumbled onto some company that sold bags of pollen and entrance reducers that you poured pollen into each morning so that the bees had to crawl through the pollen in order to fly to the blooms.

Fortunately, that fad passed, at least in my region down there.
Harry,

That guy still has a booth each year at the Almond Board Conference. He must get takers because he keeps coming back every year. I spoke to him and he say's he guarantees 900 pounds EXTRA per acre. ???

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I found those in one orchard a few years back. Figured it was some kind of experiment to increase production. Since it didn't seem to be doing any harm , I let it slide. I figured if the farmer wanted to screw around the entrances of those extra strong, extra pissy hives, he would learn something!

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
Maybe we should have our own booth this year at the Almond Board Conference and convince them that the pollen does a much better job when placed INSIDE the hive?
We can have Keith there as our representative......

·
Registered
156 Posts
"The test is conducted on almonds Prunus dulcis that are pollinated with honeybees Apis mellifera 1.75 hives per acre and nine frames of bees per hive."

Double dipping.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Maybe we should have our own booth this year at the Almond Board Conference and convince them that the pollen does a much better job when placed INSIDE the hive?
We can have Keith there as our representative......
Now were loggen, put some Nutra Bee in there, but then we would have a surplus of bees. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts