Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my two packages are going well. They have 6-7 frames extruded in each hive. One group is Italian and the Second is Carniolan. They are both taking 1:1 syrup still in internal Mann Lake Feeders and both taking pollen patties. I have brood on four frames and move being added every day.

I got into hive to see status this past weekend, and both hives were given some previous extruded frames and some new frames. A few sheets of the foundation were older and seem to have warped and the bees built out one side with some natural comb and its attached to the foundation but is double sided. I have some brood that looks like drone brood with rounded caps, but can not really tell if is drone brood or just small native cells that got capped with some round caps, they are not in an order and just sort of all over on this one frame. Seemed odd to me based upon my other hives in the past. Then when I looked at foundation that was extruded evenly all flat capped brood just like I expected to see.

I added a deep hive body BELOW the carniolan group as they had one more frame of capped brood with some larve and eggs in open cells still and just as an experiment and not having to shift frames around and hope weather stays warmer, I just added below to see what happens.

So my questions is when should i consider removing that frame that has the oddly shapped natural built on one side to get stuff back to normal? Should I wait till it is capped with brood or appears to ahve little to no eggs and larve and just remove from hive, up capp let them take the honey, lots of that on there, and the refill back in with a new foundation to be extruded? I will try to get a picture for all to see but raining again here and can not get into hive for what appears to be another 2-3 days. Most likely.

Any help is good....

Erik

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
So my questions is when should i consider removing that frame that has the oddly shapped natural built on one side to get stuff back to normal? Should I wait till it is capped with brood or appears to ahve little to no eggs and larve and just remove from hive, up capp let them take the honey, lots of that on there, and the refill back in with a new foundation to be extruded? I will try to get a picture for all to see but raining again here and can not get into hive for what appears to be another 2-3 days. Most likely.
Hard to say,

How bad is it?

Shane

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Those bumpy caps sounds like a queen laying infertile eggs/drones in worker cells. Your queen may have failed. Watch the brood and see if it too is capped domed up over the cells. If so, you will need to requeen the hive. No native bee is sharing the hive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shane, not super bad, but makes for comb that peals and breaks when I get manipulate frames around. I will take a pic today if I can and post...

Vance, Great Falls, my wife and her family are from Great Falls.... nice... the funky capped brood seem to be on that odd frame only, I agree look like drone brood, but normally I see them together not spoty... but the newer frames that a week prior had larva and eggs, are all fully capped, flat not spotty laying at all. I will get a pic today and see what I see.. could not find queen when I looked last, but was iffy on weather temps, so did not spend too long in there.

More pics today when I add more syrup and add a deep to the second hive...

Erik

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
When you add the second take the funky comb frame and place it in an outboard position in the upper box, the queen will most likely not lay in it there as they tend to stay toward the center. when the brood hatches out remove it. you can feed back any stores it contains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts