1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
The fun part of that article, to me, is that they tested this by training bees. This I gotta try. I've successfully trained cats. Bees should be easy.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I have this secret fantasy regarding a bad neighbor. Hang his picture up near the hives and cover it with honey. ;)

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
This is kind of interesting to me... A couple of years ago I was bored at work and decided to try a little experiment. I actually was just trying to see if there were any local honey bees downtown. What I did was pour a little Sprite (caffiene free) drink on top of a large garbage can lid on the side of the building. It wasn't long before the word had gotten out that a mini-buffet had opened and I had plenty of diners coming!!! Well, the next day someone left a Coke (caffinated) drink sitting around so I figured I'd pour a little on the lid and see what happened. There were a few bees that checked it out but nothing like the previous day. I tried Sprite again....bees showed up!!! Nothing at all scientific about this, but...interesting. Matter of fact, my avatar on most forums I frequent is an image of a honey bee taken during that "experiment". Here's a shot of the pigs dining at the Garbage Can Cafe... ;)

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Some years ago at a picnic, we had three types of stinging insects present. The honeybees were going for fruit juice and sugary sodas. The yellowjackets were going for sodas with NutraSweet, no doubt concerned about their waspish figures. Then there were the hornets. They were going after yellowjackets. How mean must you be to eat yellowjackets?

There's a distinction between US and Canadian clear sodas. In the US, certain clear sodas are noted for high caffeine, and are favored by computer programmers. Mountain Dew is frequently cited. But in Canada, clear sodas are not permitted to have caffeine. Sprite is citrus flavored? Might be fun to try several types, including US Mountain Dew.

But none for the Africanized bees.

·
Registered
145 Posts
From experience I can say that bees love Mountain Dew Code Red. If I don't crush my can after I'm finished, I can always expect bees to enter the can and polish off the last remaining drops. Before taking a sip outside, I have to blow in the can real quick to make sure I don't get any surprises.:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is why citrus blooms have low levels of caffeine, to attract the bees. Coffee was in full bloom this week in Hawaii and my bees were loving it. Too bad the rain cut the bloom short.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts