Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had read bees don't like corn, I have repeated this myself. These bees like this corn. It is Silver King White. Open pollinated.

020 (800x589).jpg

Alex

·
Super Moderator
11,185 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Rader.

Alex

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is cow corn the same as feed corn?

I watched the bees working my sweet corn again after lunch. At times there would be seven or eight on the tassels. There was little to no wind blowing and as the bees bumped the tassels and jockeyed for position you could see the pollen slowly floating down to the silks below. I know that corn is primarily pollinated by wind, but the bees were doing it today. I think I will have a good crop of corn and my watermelons are putting on a bumper crop also. Bumper crops and honey, too. What a deal!

Alex

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all. I am new to beekeeping, but I remember when I used to live in the apple-growing region of North Georgia, the extension agent was always on the farmers not to dust pesticide on the tassels of the corn, so the bees could get at it. I also remember seeing bees in the tassels of my corn when I grew some in my garden, some years back.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
In lack of alternative summer pollen, corn pollen is the major pollen source for the bees at this time of year in our location. Yes, feed corn. We don't grow much sweet corn here, just to feed cattle and the biogas plant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts