Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to find out more about observation hives and light. I've heard that bees dislike light, and will propolize windows, but I've also seen many pictures of indoor observation hives that appear to be permanently open to the light.

My own observation hive is made with removable shutters, but I'd like to get a feel for the considerations around leaving some of the shutters off for extended viewing. Heat-wise, the north-facing side can remain unshuttered without baking the bees in the sun. I am concered, however, about their reaction to ambient light.

Is this something that should only be done for minutes at a time? Safely done for hours at a time? No more than once a month?

What of light-leaking in from around the shutters?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
My OH leaks light from the sides, never had a problem with it.

I often leave my shutters off of it for an hour or so with few or no problems. I've even left it off for a few days a few times with no problems. I wouldn't leave it off for too long though. I don't think it hurts them developmentally, but I'm not 100% on this.

It's more like leaving the door open. If you leave it open too long, they are bound to close it on their own, only with propolis and not the shutter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts