Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine had a hot hive and apparently got them pretty riled up during an inspection. It got so bad he closed it up and went inside but the bees remained agitated. Jim also keeps purple martins and he noticed that the bees were flying into the wind (no small thing in this part of TX) and seeming to attack the martin house. This continued until dark, about three hours. The next day he took down the house to check on the nestlings that he had tagged just a few days earlier and found 16 dead. He has now moved the bees out of his yard and killed the queen and brood and will requeen today. Has anyone ever heard of such behavior from an aggressive hive?

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
742 Posts
Nope never heard of killing the queen AND brood to requeen. Most only pinch the queen and tough it out with what is going to hatch until things turn around. Just curious, but how did he kill brood and not the other bees (I do know of one way that does not involve chemicals but would be for uncapped brood only, or did he freeze the frames of brood), and how does he expect to keep the hive going with no nurse bees to care for the newly laid eggs.

OH you were talking about the birds, never heard of that either, the martins will eat his bees though.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
There was a thread on here about a month ago that a hot hive killed like 11 of their chickens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had a call two days ago in Austin about a hive that moved into a tree and killed two Owl fledglings. They were a bit hot even during the midday investigation of the hive. I got bumped a few times just standing near the tree. I'll try a trap out when this hurricane passes and we get some sun again.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Why waste your time trapping out an aggressive hive? Kill them!

Applebwoi-If your friends hive is that aggresive he is not doing others in the area any good by leaving those drones left to breed with other queens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not bothered by hot bees. The way i see it they are better adapted or they wouldn't be so prolific. Plus i'll be having them raise a queen from a frame of Italian stock brood. You know you don't get the queen when you do a trap out. Why kill when you can manipulate in a positive way?

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
742 Posts
If the trap hive has drones and they raise a queen from a frame of Italians, there is still a very good chance you will have the aggressive genes in the newly mated queen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
from the little reading I've done as a newbeek it seems that in the last 20years or so since science has been trying to unmake what they made by breeding out hot bees/africanized to more docile European Bees. They have just made mean Bees that live in colder weather. So I vote Kill em or they'll kill and breed out all other Bees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts