Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Haa! I wouldn't hive those aggressive bees for a million dollars.
Better call the bee company. And you tube vids said a swarm will not
sting people. I don't think so.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
A fresh swarm isn't prone to stinging but a dry swarm definitely will!As if honeybees aren't allready misunderstood by the general public!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
It's blocked for me, but I love how often an article has "bees" in the headline and starts calling them something else, like hornets or wasps, in the middle of the article or they mention something else the makes you wonder if they aren't yellow jackets or bumble bees...

From CDC:
- Every 40 seconds, someone in the United States seeks medical attention for a dog bite–related injury.
- During 1979–1998, dog attacks killed more than 300 Americans.
- Nearly 800,000 people sought medical care for dog bites in 1994; half of them were children under 18.

35% of US homes have dogs
80% of all animal bites are from dogs
900 dog bite victims are treated in emergency rooms every day

Per the CDC, there are over 4.7 million dog bites a year (nearly 2% of the U.S. population); 800,000 of them serious enough to require hospitalization

Dog bites seldom make the news, but bees do...

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Who ties a 7.5 pound Chihuahua out in the yard with a leash? That's animal abuse right there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The reporter must be lazy, he didn't even check to see if they were bees or other buzzing insects. No interview with the vet to verify that it was bees. Sorry this is real stupid reporting and NBC should be ashamed this channel would even air such a bogus report.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It was done by local media that often gets information wrong. Kind of easy to get settled into just getting by doing your job instead of investing work. I live in Kennewick which is a ten minute drive across the city from Pasco so this is as local as it gets for me. Most people around here who are talking about it have either said it was probably hornets, or that the woman shouldn't have left her dog out like that. We do have hawks and decent sized barn owls, personally I would worry about one swooping off with my rat dog, just saying.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It was quite obviously a swarm of honey bees. The stinger they showed was quite clearly a honey bee stinger. Wasp nests would not be very populous this time of year, and wasps do not leave their stingers behind like honey bees do. This is an unfortunate accident, that happened to this dog. Animal stingings are rare with domestic honey bees, but are not unheard of. In areas where African bees exist, such as most of the Southern USA, mass stinging occurs with regularity. African bees can be a real danger to pets and humans. Domestic bees are seldom involved with news like this, but it does happen. Life can be sad at times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts