Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It is normal for bees to draw wax on the inner covers of the hives like that. If the inside brood box is full of comb it's time for another box. Bees will build burr comb like that as a ladder to get where they want to go.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I staple a screen over the handhold of my inner covers, and I use those betterbee plastic covers without difficulty. Are they making comb on the inside of the cover or on the bottom of the inner cover?

·
Registered
536 Posts
If the space is too deep between the hive matt and the topbars of the frames the bees will always try to fill it with comb.
I took this explanation from beekeeping.com bcause they have explained bee space better than I can :)

The bee space is simply the crawl space needed by a bee to pass easily between two structures (7.5 mm +/- 1.5 mm for the western hive bee, less for the eastern hive bee). If the space between any two surfaces in the hive is too small for a bee to pass through easily, the bees willseal it with propolis. If the space is larger than a bee needs to pass through easily, the bees will construct comb in the area.

When the space between two surfaces in the hive is the right size, the bees will leave it free as a crawl space. if the bee space is considered and respected in the construction of a hive, a hive that allows for easy comb removal and replacement will result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts