Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happend looked out my kitchen window, about an hour ago. Just in time to see bees swarming around. They have landed about 60 70 feet. Almost strait up, no way I can get to them. I have a swarm trap about 80 feet back in the woods. I also have one about 10 feet away and 10 feet off the ground. I just put a nuc on the ground with a few frames of comb under them. I placed a nuc about 60 fet and 10 feet up with 2 frames and some comb. I I also put bee lure on every thing, Question should I put covers on nuc or leev them open?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had one in tall pine tree a couple of months ago, and I did something I've never tried before. I' ve knocked down high swarms previously and after they hit the ground they go right back up. This time I hit the tree a really good whack with the bucket on my tractor. As soon as they hit the ground I covered the glob of bees on the ground with a mesh truck tarp. I must have traped the queen under the tarp because in a few minutes all the bees in flight were clustered on the tarp. I shook them all into one pile on the ground and hived them easily.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Just remember a swarm in May is worth a load of hay, A swarm In June is worth a silver spoon, A swarm in July let them fly! this late in the game the swam ain't worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts