Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 months ago I took one frame of capped brood with nurse bees and 4-5 frames of mostly honey. Did not have any frames I had with pollen so put part of a pollen patty on. I know now that maybe I should have put two frames of brood but there was a lot of honey. To cut to the chase, I put two plane frames in with no comb and in two weeks there we’re barely touched. Took two out and put two frames with comb in. Bees seem to have a lot of bees flying in and out so they should be bringing in nectar and pollen??? About a week ago I finished the deep with 3 more frames of comb. Have bees on 1:1 sugar but I have been busy and could have run dry a few days a couple of times. Am going to put two sugar waters in tomorrow so they will have sugar water and more ways to get to it. Queen is doing a good job with laying and brood is hatching BUT MY QUESTION IS IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE THESE BEES ARE GOING TO FILL THIS DEEP AND ANOTHER BEFORE WINTER AT THIS RATE. Have about two acres of sunflowers about 400 yards away . Hive looks busy. I humbly come to asking how can I get this hive to build up faster. I need to get two deeps for winters in central Illinois. Bees cleaned out the honey frames real fast and now are trying to store some honey but that isn’t doing that good. Can you survive a harsh winter with only one deep? Giving more sugar. What can I do to help them get two deep when at this time the only are working on 7 frames . Just not going fast as with a package but I started with very few bees. People I talked to said this would work. Lot of honey put in . Could have got robbed. Frustrated in Illinois. Now that I think about it didn’t see pollen patty today and not bringing in a lot of pollen?????? Pollen patties frozen and 2-3 years old and just put a small piece in. Frustrating

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
You might find it interesting to search up some of Enjambres posts where she puts styrofoam dummy frames at either side of ten frame boxes so that functionally she might have a five over five frame arrangement. I have done that successfully.

Single 10 frame deeps will winter OK but may need some very early spring feeding. The odds probably improve if your bees lean to Carniolan style habits rather than Italian.

I have a couple of late splits that will have ten frames drawn but will be wintering them in stacked five frame boxes side by side to share heat.

·
Registered
260 Posts
They can't build faster if they don't have enough bees... You can give then a couple of capped brood frames from another hive if you can afford it, otherwise just let them be. Overwintering in single deeps is pretty standard around here, so you should be fine too, just make sure you treat for mites and feed them. I normally do not start feeding until goldenrod is over, not sure if you get any goldenrod around there.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
If we can survive a winter in Wisconsin in one deep, you should have no problems where you are. I would worry more about the queen having open comb to lay in. You make bees first, then worry about filling comb.

Crazy Roland

1 - 4 of 4 Posts