·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha Sarge. There ya go.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Why would anyone get offended by putting a URL from FOX news? I have never seen anything offensive on FOX News.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
My FOX link didn't work so I watched the other one. Not sure why, I watch FOX all the time. Very cool video.

4 million bees in there though? Assuming a full size hive is 60,000 this hive would be 66.67 times bigger than that. I've heard as much as 80,000 but even then that's 50 times an extra full strength hive.

Pine smoke stuns them and makes them loopy so they don't sting? I was under the impression smoke disables their ability to communicate and thinking there's a fire they gorge on honey. Then, like most us after a full meal, they're pretty lethargic after that.

uhhh, holy molly.... I just realized I've blossomed into a full blown a bee dork.

·
Registered
435 Posts
About four million bees thats got to be a record. I wonder how he counted. Most hives have about forty to fifty thousand at peak honey flow. :scratch:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Wow 4 million bees.... I wish my hives would get that strong :). I think it is quite amusing where people pull their numbers from. I'm guessing that "bee trapper" isn't a member of this forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I find it funny that they kept saying how they did not even know there was a problem. Well there probably wasn't a problem. You were just housing a friendly neighborhood pollinator. I imagine the citrus trees in a two mile radius of that house won't be doing so well in the near future.

·
Registered
574 Posts
When a news story is completely non-political, I don't think it matters which source it comes from, and I don't think there's anything political about a bee hive in a home. Unless those bees were hiding a bunch of hanging chads that we weren't told about in the story that is.

I thought it was kinda cool how unafraid the reporter was to get close to them with no protection. I know a lot of reporters that wouldn't do the same thing.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4 Million makes a better story. These are the kind that never swarm.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Looks like a nice size colony, but gotta agree, 4 million is off the charts. Going off the active time of year life cycle, lets be generous here...life cycle of a bee, 7 weeks? 7 days x 7 weeks = 49 days. So in that, the queen is laying upwards of 81,600 + eggs per day? IMPRESSIVE! Put me down for 2 queens please.

Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts