Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
checked bees last week and they where starting to brood up some of the best had five frames of brood but the average was closer to three. what is everybody else seeing. has been cold down here for the last week. sure wish it would warm up down south......David www.johnstonshoneyfarm.com

·
Registered
723 Posts
Glad you posted. You and I are in somewhat of a similar zone. Been seeing a good deal of pollen brought into the hives on warmer days. I'm overwintering in single brood chambers and nucs this year. Definitely seeing some brood cranking up in all of them. If the nucs keep it up, I'm going to go ahead and move the nucs into full bodies during the next warm spell....and feed, feed and feed!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have 8 colonies. The weakest has 2 deep small cell deep (plastic, 90% brood) of sealed brood, and 1 deep (90%) mixed eggs and larva. Mine do not have much of a rim of stored honey above the brood. The others will average 7-8 mediums or 5 deeps (sealed, eggs, and larva). The mediums are about 100% brood with the deeps about 90%.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts