Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a sight! A few loose bee's (they like skin so soft lotion) are hanging out with the caged ones and it's pretty awesome. I've coated the screen with some sugar water; they seem to be doing ok. How much does one consume? They have spread out a bit I guess to get to the screen plus it's about 65-68 degrees in the bath. Our high to day was about 48 maybe and very windy. Too chilly to place in hive today and it was recommended I wait until it warms up to about 60 degrees. So the closest place to the garage was the bath off the kitchen. The dogs knows they are in there too. :s I sure hope I can install these guys tomorrow.

Hard to imagine 3 pounds of bee's number around 10,000! What will they do about a few of the dead one on the bottom with no way to push them out?

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I think you can safely install much cooler than 60. The added bonus is they're less likely to want to fly off in that weather.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I've seen people install the bees at 40 deg. F , Also just a quick note - According to WIKI answers you have more bees then you think you do. A worker bee weighs in at 90 milligrams, so we go to good ole google and find the calculator from pounds to milligrams, 1 pound equals 453592 milligrams, divide that by 90, and we come up with a 1 pound package containing 5039 bees, multiply by 3 and your 3 pound package contains 15,117 honey bees plus a queen.

Here's the link to the wiki answers for those that wonders... :) http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_...ide=2&article=How_much_does_a_honey_bee_weigh

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
> Our high to day was about 48 maybe and very windy. Too chilly to place in hive today and it was recommended I wait until it warms up to about 60 degrees.

I would prefer 48... I've installed at 32 and snowing...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, Thanks for all the input....it's still very windy today and I am hoping we get up to 60 degrees here in the late afternoon for homing in the hives.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bee's have been homed. Quite a lot of activity; they are even coming out the backside.....being nosey and orienting I guess. Noticed one already on the outside standing firm with his hind in the air making all sorts of gestures.

The second package already had comb built toward the bottom of the can it took me forever to get it out!

Sort of wish I had a couple more!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts