Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess this as a "good as any" place to post this.... What is the best way to get stragglers out of the honey house while extracting? I know it's best to never let them in but it seems they post spies at every door waiting for someone to come in or out. Then they whistle for everyone else..... Results are what seems like a more bees in the honey house than the bee yard!
All comments welcome....

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I have several wire mesh one way bee exit cones on the top of all window screens in the extracting room. The bees crawl to the top of the window screen and exit out the cones. Metal bee escapes and plastic cones do not work effectively.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Odfrank, I'll second Hive5ive's queation. Are they conical or prisem shaped and as wide as the eindow?
Steve
These are the ones I found work best on a window screen. Cut a hole in the screen and glue them onto the outside. The bees seem to stop if the have to step up onto something. This way they will come to the hole, climb in and out the escape hole.

https://www.bbhoneyfarms.com/store/p-168-bee-escape-cones

https://www.johnsonsbeesandsupplies.com/product/conical-bee-escape/

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Recently at a large honey-extracting operation near me I was told that there were so many bees on the inside of the windows of the extracting room that they were brushed down into an empty brood box, given a queen and promptly organized themselves into a new colony. That's one way to fix the problem.

Nancy

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,825 Posts
I like that solution! New colony and problem solved.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had a half dozen bees end up in the kitchen while I was extracting yesterday. My solution?... they ended up getting stuck in the honey of a leaking frame. Problem solved. Well, all but a couple. My dog got the last one or two. He loves catching bees out of the air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts