Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bees swarmed 48 hours ago are still in same cluster, about 70 feet up. How long can they stay that way??? The Stat bee inspsctor came by, to inspect my hives. All my hives were full of Bees! And almost honey bound, one super almost full. He sugggested severl way to try and get them down, short of using a 38 to shoot the branch. Oh good news my hives pased with flying colors!!! Only two( Mite's ).....!!!..

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If you have a spare hive setup with some used foundation,,,they may be enticed into that as a new home. I would go so far as to put it up as high I was comfortable,,,such as a ladder. My swarm this year march right into an empty hive on the ground:D Seems to me if they have been there for two days, they are having a difficult time find suitable accommodations. If they can't find a new home, they will starve. After two days they are well on their way to being out of honey.

My thoughts

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have swarm catchers, all over nucs with frames of comb, bee pheromone in them even put honey on them, also bee charme. We will see soon what happens......

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you have a way to get a frame of brood up close to them, they'll migrate over to the frame, it's worked for me many times in the past. Good luck.

C2

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after 53 hours the cluster of bees came alive. Off in to the wild blue yander, were they went I will never know. Nature is a mystery.....

·
Registered
760 Posts
I had one hive swarm like that several years ago. Did manage to just brush them standing on a ladder on top of a trailer with several poles duck taped together. (Must have been funny to watch). I though they may drop to the ground where I could try and get them into a hive, but most of them took to the air before hitting the ground so I gave up. The swarm never did move on and built comb right on the branch.

I did see someone that had an interesting idea to capture such swarms. If you can get a rope over the branch, tie an old frame of drawn comb or two to the end of the rope and raise it up to the swarm. With luck the swarm will move onto the comb and then you can lower it to the ground.

-Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts