Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about 6 weeks, we have had bees in one spot in our hot tub. I have contacted several pool professionals and a few said they were just seeking water, to watch what direction the bees are coming from & put out alternate sources of water & eventually the bees would go to the alternate sources instead of our hot tub. Problem is - they never leave the hot tub.

There was also a pool guru who told me he has the same problem every year, & it turned out the bees were going through a small crack into a hive inside his hot tub.:eek:

My husband did find a crack in our hot tub where the bees congregate; he sees them going in and out of this crack so he suspects a hive now based on what this pool guru has said.

I have copied and pasted the pool guru's information that he shared with me. We need to know 1) does this make any sense at all? We are not bee people. 2) Should I call in a professional beekeeper to "extract" (or whatever the right term is) the bees? The silicone method seems harsh on the bees, but having a hive inside my hot tub is not ideal either. I am trying to be "bee friendly" but this is exasperating and we do have company almost every weekend that we have to warn them to avoid the bees.

Begin quote:
"concerning your bee issue......i had the exact same thing with my pool. i live in [extremely hot & dry famous US city], and every year, for about two months, i get those same bees going to a particular corner by the walk-in steps for my inground pool.

they are, in fact bees...not wasps. the soda pop trick will only attract more of them.

i finally called in a professional exterminator. he examined the area where the bees were (very similar to your photos) right at the water/tile line in a corner area. he did this during the heat of the day, so there were not many bees there.

in my situation, he found a very tiny slit between the tile and pool plaster area. now i had been in the pool a number of times and never noticed this, nor did i think a bee could fit thru there. but, they can, and they had made a bee hive BEHIND and under the pool tile area (which of course you could not see). he said that a nearby hive is the only reason that those type of bees would ever cluster like that, repeatedly, in the same area, over time.

he gave me a tube of clear silicone and a bee spray. he said to wait till the next day, again, during the heat of the day, and spray this concentrated bee and wasp spray into the tiny hole and then silicone over the area.

i did that and then repeated the siliconing the following day just to make sure i got all possible cracks where bees could go.

for the following number of months, my bee population decreased by like 95%. so you may want to try this whole proceedure and/or call in an exterminator yourself.

but......one thing does happen each year, in the sping.......a groupn oof new bees do, in fact come back to that same spot for like a week of so once a year. the exterminator said this would happen cause bees somehow remember where there original hive was - i don't know about that - but he did say it would happen - and it does.

but, for the most part, i have benn 95% bee-free ever since, and i do keep an eye on my tile line all around the pool and always seal up any little slits i see with the clear silicone, to ward off furture bee hives."

Bee Honeybee Insect Membrane-winged insect Invertebrate
Floor Room Table Tile Architecture
Bee Honeybee Insect Membrane-winged insect Organism

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ask your husband to check and see if any of the bees going into the crack have pollen (yellow dots)on the rear legs. That to me would be a good indication that the bees have taken up residence.

If you do see this then call a local bee guy and have him come take a look. The sooner the better in my opinion.

Good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
323 Posts
google ,,, honey bee ,, yellow jacket ,,, wasp ,,,, hornet .. now swat and kill one of them that are there ,,, now look at pics of each ... If it is a honey bee ,,, and they have a hive in your tub ,, just killing the bees off , or pluging the hole ,, will not be good because if they have any honey stored , you will have all kinds of bugs attracted by the honey ,, so you will only trade one
problem for another .. I my self dont think you have honey bees , from what your post says ..
this comment """""" the soda pop trick will only attract more of them. """" says yellow jacket ,,, wasp ,,,, hornet .
because honey bees are not attracted to soda pop ,,, and this comment """"""" new bees do, in fact come back to that same spot for like a week of so once a year. the exterminator said this would happen cause bees somehow remember where there original hive was - i don't know about that - but he did say it would happen - and it does. """" bees ,, yellow jacket ,,, wasp ,,,, hornet ,,, do not live even close to a year ..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys so much! Appreciate the feedback. I will talk this over with my husband.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They are most certainly honey bees, so no need to "swat and kill one". they do appear to be just drinking. if you have dozens flying in and out, like a bee freeway, al lday, everyday and those returning have full pollen sacks on their legs, then yes they have taken up residence. it doesnt appear as such.
the list of local beeks above is a good one. call someone local for a closer inspection under your tub.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.