Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a wild swarm, very nice docile bees (lucky on catching them and they are nice!). I moved them into my Warre' hive on Monday and they seem to be getting along well. When they were in the old Langstroth hive that they swarmed to they were building comb like crazy, they had five relatively huge combs built in 3 days. They seem to be strong but what is the best way to get them settled so they have enough resources for the winter? I already had the advice to feed them so I'm going to do that, but it is best to just leave them alone and let them build like crazy? My main interest is providing habitat for them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, feed is the main thing. They will need 2 boxes of drawn comb, with at least 1 filled with stores by winter time to have a chance. Maybe more depending on your winter. I would feed 2:1 syrup until they have a box and a half of comb drawn or so and be prepared to feed again in fall to make up stores.

I don't have any idea what the honey flow is like in your area, so adjust this advice for that accordingly.

:D

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What method are you using to feed?
I just made a feeder last night and put it on the cover (over the top bars) and put a box to protect it. Put the quilt and top on after that. I just made it up quick after work after reading some on here about feeding them. I made up 1:1 sugar syrup but I can make 2:1

·
Registered
71 Posts
One to one should be fine. Sounds good. You want the bees to be able to access the feed quickly. Warre's rapid feeder, or some sort of top feeder works well for this.

:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts