Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built two bee traps and finally caught some bees in one of them. Should I leave them alone till spring or put them in an empty super? I can't believe I actually caught some bees. They are flying in and out and the box looks full looking in the hole!! 20181122_105028.jpg 20181122_105007.jpg

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Wow, that’s good for this time of year, kudos. I don’t like to leave a swarm in the box anymore than a couple weeks, they can get in trouble drawing comb, and they can be fed if needed. The most important part is they have brood when you switch em out.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
If you made it properly, it has a full set of frames and the bees can just carry on in until spring. Personally, I would give it an Apivar strip before the mites have brood to breed in. I have found that early swarms treated immediately go on to make a substantial honey crop unburdened by a heavy mite load.
You also now have to change your screen name from NoBees to GotBees, SomeBees, MyBees, BeeBees or something like that.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Odfrank makes sense, but me, I'd want to move it to an easier location to take care of. Eventually you will have to anyway, so why not now.

Then it can be fed if needed, mite treated if needed, etc.. All a lot easier than if you have to climb a tree to do so.

I would also suggest that a swarm at this time of year is a tad unusual, and a reasonable chance it is in fact an absconsion swarm, ie, bees escaping from a hive infested by varroa mites. In these cases the swarm brings a lot of mites with them and soon perishes anyway. A mite assessement ASAP and effective treatment, will greatly enhance the swarms chances of survival.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you made it properly, it has a full set of frames and the bees can just carry on in until spring. Personally, I would give it an Apivar strip before the mites have brood to breed in. I have found that early swarms treated immediately go on to make a substantial honey crop unburdened by a heavy mite load.
You also now have to change your screen name from NoBees to GotBees, SomeBees, MyBees, BeeBees or something like that.
I made it the right way, with frames. I said swarm but the bees possibly have been in there for a while. It hasn't been checked since June. I could put a jar feeder nearby on the fence if I need to. If I change my screen name, no one will know me.........haha

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Odfrank makes sense, but me, I'd want to move it to an easier location to take care of. Eventually you will have to anyway, so why not now.

Then it can be fed if needed, mite treated if needed, etc.. All a lot easier than if you have to climb a tree to do so.

I would also suggest that a swarm at this time of year is a tad unusual, and a reasonable chance it is in fact an absconsion swarm, ie, bees escaping from a hive infested by varroa mites. In these cases the swarm brings a lot of mites with them and soon perishes anyway. A mite assessement ASAP and effective treatment, will greatly enhance the swarms chances of survival.
It is close to my house and it might not be a recent swarm. Haven't checked it sense June.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, that’s good for this time of year, kudos. I don’t like to leave a swarm in the box anymore than a couple weeks, they can get in trouble drawing comb, and they can be fed if needed. The most important part is they have brood when you switch em out.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
If I change my screen name, no one will know me.........haha
Instead, why not just add a "signature" that appears automatically with each post to explain your situation/name. Signature panels can have up to 2 lines of text (and can include a web link) that are pretty flexible. In this thread, posts by me, Oldtimer, and rwlaw have examples of signature panels. Look for the light/thin grey line below in this message. Everything under that gray line is in my signature panel.

You can navigate to "Edit Signature" under "Settings" at the top of the page, or use this link:
https://www.beesource.com/forums/profile.php?do=editsignature

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I built two bee traps and finally caught some bees in one of them. Should I leave them alone till spring or put them in an empty super?
In your location, I'd leave them in the trap and set the trap in a place that is protected from the wind from the north and the northwest. I'd rehive them after the Ides of March. Congratulations on the catch!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts