Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

This morning, checking hives, I noticed a couple of bees in front of one of my strong young hives. They were on grass stems in front of hive, struggling to get out of the grass.

One looked healthy, but I saw that the other one had only one wing, or 1/2 of one wing was gone. This is the only two bees that were on the ground. I have read that mites cause this, hopefully, you all can clue me in or maybe I'm just jumping the gun on some problem that does not exist.

Anyway, it's best to ask questions, it pays off. When I'm not sure or need to know, or think I need to know something, I am/will ask questions. Too much to learn about bees, when I think I know something, then I see stuff I need info/help with. I have a couple of good books, and a great mentor, but he stays too busy most all the time, so I don't bother him, except sometimes on the phone.

Thanks as always, keep the honey flowing.

Best,

casper_zip

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Mites cause deformed wings. . .they look like they've been scrunched up. This bee sounds like it was missing a piece of its wing--that would'nt be because of varroa. Christopher has a point. . .are these drones? If they're workers, perhaps they've just gotten old and worn out. Were they fuzzy or bald? The symptoms kind of sound like tracheal mites, but I doubt that's your problem. Anyway, unless it continues I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wouldn't worry about two bees on the ground like that. If it were a lot more than that (50+) and it continued then I'd be worried. A number of things could have happened to those two. They could have been robbers beaten up or workers who worked themselves to death and they're just tore up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts