Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have observed some bees going in and out of an open cap of a fire hydrant accross the street from where I have a couple of hives so they could be off of mine. I think a trapout would not work because of the proximity of the street and also for safety reasons. Any ideas?

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
753 Posts
See if the water dept will let you take the bonnet off of the hydrant to access the bees (I doubt it but worth a call).

Would be a good trap out candidate, park you car next to the hydrant to block people out (with the cities permission of course).

I would say once the water dept is notified the bees will be sprayed.

G3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is in Tampa, that is why I did not think a trapout would work I was wondering if there was any other quick way, could I run them out with some bee quick into a trap?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes it is in Tampa, that is why I did not think a trapout would work I was wondering if there was any other quick way, could I run them out with some bee quick into a trap?
Sure, but what if something goes wrong..you'd be in a pile of hurt. It's one colony of probable feral bees. In a municipal owned fire hydrant. Near a public road. risk/ benefit ratio not worth it, imo. If you really need a colony that bad, let me help you with one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts